Monday, August 23, 2010

Bashkim Day 14 Response

Carmelo
I feel like if Marjane stayed in Iraq and did not go to Austria, she would not be as mature as she would be if she went to Austria. For her, staying in Iraq is no change and what I mean by change is her forming into a young lady and seeing the world in a different perspective. I think that she would not see the world as it is if she stayed in Iraq because she is already used to the war and she sees how people are in pain because of it. Being in Austria will definitely turn her into more of a young lady because she is away from her family and all of their troubles. The reason the boys are in jail is because of the influences they have had in their lives. If they were to grow up in a suburban area, their chances of going jail would be very slim. If I grew up with people that would tend to do bad things, I would probably be doing the same thing because everyone around me is doing it. I would feel left out in a way, so I’d let peer pressure get to me and attempt the actions that I wouldn’t do if I grew up in the suburbs. “I wish that knew what I know now when I was younger.” If I was sent off to another country to live on my own at the tender age of 14, I think that I would not have a chance because when I was at that age, I was still imagining things and more naive than I am now. The real world really hit me when high school started but since I wasn’t in high school when I was 14, I did not know as much as I do now. I am very glad that I know what I know today.
Natalia
I think that the parents of the kids that are in mark’s class would be, or at least should be proud of their kids. The boys have over some an obstacle in their lives and that obstacle was looking in the mirror and realizing what they really were. Some parents might not like the idea of their kids growing up in the real world because they care so much for them and that can lead to problems with the parents. It is hard to let go but a time comes in your life where you need to let one go and let them grow to what they were meant to be. The boys thought that the whole gang scene was what they thought they belonged to and so they gave in to it. Parents will not be happy with that they might feel like they weren’t good enough parents. But when it comes to nature vs. nurture, I believe nature wins the war. The boys could have come from happy and rich families for all we know. What matters is how the individual really is. I really started to be more independent in the middle of my junior year in high school. My parents were not too fond of it because they felt like I was neglecting the family and to them it seemed like I did not want to be a part the family. I am just living my life and I am doing the things I need and want to do. They felt like I was drifting away from them but really I was only trying to be myself with no bad intentions. Everyone changes and junior year was when it happened. It transitioned very slowly but my parents caught on and did not like the idea of it for some reason. We all have things to do in life and that was what I was simply doing; Being myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment