Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 11 Response- Kyle Rich

Michelle- With any big move or any long term decision, there is always going to be some rough transitions to face. Marjane has left on her own before to France for summer camp before, but the move to Vienna seems all the more permanent. While she likes to think of herself as independent, i think deep down she is really frightened to leave her family and move to a different country at the tender age of fourteen. While her parents never played the most direct role in her life, she still needs them and I feel as if she is going to get extremely homesick without them. Family seems to shape and influence a lot of who Marjane is, and now that she is being pushed on her own, who knows what is going to happen. Just like any other child moving as well, she had to leave behind her close circle of friends. I know exactly how this feels as i have moved away and back from my close friends more than once. I feel there is certain aspects she didn’t want to leave behind. While Iran is dangerous and no place for a successful woman, she will miss what she left behind. And while I didn't want to leave Indiana, i knew a way better opportunity was ahead here in Chicago, as i didn't want to become a "townie." Just like me, i believe Marjane knows that although the decision to make the move may seem hard, it is in her best interest. An old quote goes "Sometimes the right decision is always the hardest." Once she arrives in Vienna, she has to adapt to a new lifestyle. At a boarding school, she no longer has all the privacy and seclusion that a single child gets to enjoy. She has to adapt to smaller space, and to share her possessions. And when she in visions what her roommate will be like, it turns out that she doesn't speak her language. Anything outside your norm can be difficult for people sometimes, but i feel that Marjane has become such a strong character, that eventually it won't be anything. I am glad she got out of Iran, but i cannot even imagine now where the book is going to go.

3 comments:

  1. What I found interesting was how you stated that Marjane is really made up of her family in a way and that they pretty much shaped her up to what she is now. I think that is important because that in a way tells you how she is going to react to the new environment she will be living in. Another thing I liked was how you connected your experiences with hers and I can relate to that as well because of the pressures I have had in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you said everything would eventually be nothing for Marjane. We are at a time in our lives where new people are coming and going everyday. This program is something I've never done and it's something I've gotten used to. We are all experiencing new things all of the time and it's a matter of time before it all becomes a norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree when you said that Marjane can be more stronger because if we all think about it she moves to Vienna. She has to get used to living the new life over their she has to move on with her life. I'm glad she is out of Iran it's more safe for her so she won't be in any danger. And her parents feel more safe to let her move even though she is a teenager everybody has to go through that time when we move into a different place. And I feel that Marjane is going to gain her inner strength step by step as she gets used to her new life.

    ReplyDelete