Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 14 response- Megan Schaus

Carmelo-

The answer to your question is absolutely. I think where the boys grew up was one of the main reasons they wandered down the wrong path. Where you are raised influenccs the person you will become. I think being pressured by the wrong people, in bad neighborhoods, hs taken over the lives of the boys. Maybe one bad act, turned into many bad acts. Whether it is stealing, assult, or murder, no violent behavior is acceptable, so where they grew up isn't an excuse for acting the ways they did. Unfortunately, after reading True Notebooks I saw incredible potential in the boys, so its a shame they were raised they way they were. It makes me think what kind of people they could have been, and who they were destant to be. I also remember being the age the boys are, and there are many difficulties being a preteen. You go through many hardships and challanges. One main aspect of these challanges, is peer pressure. You can't escape peer pressure, because it follows you where ever you go. The only solution, is don't give in. Sadly, its too late for the kids in True Notebooks, to change their past, but it isn't to late to change their future. Sure, saying "no," and walking away, may be uncomfortable and awkward, but you will most likely end up saving your own life. Believe me, saying "no,"will be worth it in the end.

If I was 14 and sent to live on my own, I wouldn't let myself fail. I would do what it would take to stay alive. I would keep myself positive and strong. I wouldn't let myself fall, even if I had someone to catch me. I would keep my family and friends in my mind, and have that inspire me to make it through each day. I'm definitely not saying it would be easy to be on my own, but I would make it a priority to be okay. I would make it my own responsiblity to take action by keeping myself nourished. I would have prominant belief in myself that would be present from the second I open my eyes, to the second I shut them for the night. I would try my absolute hardest not to become weak. I would depend on having faith in myself, to keep my alive.

Natalia-

I think that the parents would be proud, of making it so far. I wouldn't know, but living in a jail sounds the farthest thing from easy. It sounds not only depressing, but lonely. Yes, they did commit the crime, so they have to pay the time, but theres no reason the boys can't be somewhat reconized. Personally, I don't think I would last a second in jail. I would die of anxiety and the constant thought of getting beat up. When I first started reading True Notebooks, I really admired Jimmy. I thought he had the most character and personality. I also enjoyed his stories. Unfortunately, later in the novel, I learned that Jimmy was caught smoking pot. I was very upset that he had made such a poor decision. I had complete confidence Jimmy was going to start a fresh life, but I was wrong. This proved that old habits do die hard. I think his parents would have been very disappointed in him, considering all of the wrong choices he has made. I considered Jimmy as one of those characters that had incredible potential, but I was very wrong. He was still the same person, as he was in the beginning. I feel sympathy for Jimmy, because I think he feels somewhat trapped in his own life. It must be a terrible feeling of not only dioscomfort, but lonliness. Now Jimmy is the one that really has to pay for all the mistakes he has made.

As I was growing up, watching each birthday pass me by, my parents grew more and more emotional. I am the youngest in the entire family, so it can't be easy watching me get older. My entire family is very close. My parents are divorced, but I have the type of family that is there for me every second of everyday. We are truely inseperable. One main thing my parents worry about is as I get older, that I will drift away from everyone. They are afraid that school, friends, and parties, are going to replace being with them. Little do they know, that there isn't one thing on this earth that I care about more than my family. They are the main focus of my life, and they will always come first. There will never be a day that passes by where I don't think about my family. I am incredibly close with my mom, shes my best friend. I think she worries that as I go off to college, that our relationship isn't going to remain the same. My mom will always have my back, and she will always support me in anything I decide to do with my life. I thank her for forming me into the person I am today, because without her, I wouldn't be me. She has taught me everything I have to know to be successful in life, and she is always there for me when I need her. I can only hope that one day I will end up the person she is. She has no idea how much I look up to her, and respect her. She has always been my role model, and will always be my role model. She has gone through so many awful things, that it is truly a miracle she is the person that she is today. I feel sorry for the inmates at Central, because they most likely never had this. If I didn't have the unconditional love that my mom has for me daily, I would probably be in trouble now too. But whenever I feel like taking a risk or doing something that puts me in danger, I think of how my mom would have to go through life without me here, and I suddenly want nothing to do with it anymore. Who knows, if we didn't have the relationship we have, I could be in the same position that the inmates are in. I could be addicted to drugs or alcohol, but I'm not. My mom is my hero, and shes saved my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment