Thursday, August 26, 2010

Final day: Hafizah

Wow.... Where do I begin? First of all I learned that college is not the walk in the park that people say it is sometimes. My mentality about this program was "I'm seriously not going to be able to do this." But after just getting really into it and learning so much, It became one the most amazing experiences I've even had. Before coming here, I had such little faith what would be accomplished here. I felt like in a way, this program would just make me flunk out and like join a rodeo clown show. But being in here has been such a life changing and eye opening experience. I learned to believe in myself and in the things I want to do with my future. I learned about art and how beautiful it could be. At my school, we never really had field trips or even major art classes where you could see what other students were capable of doing and here in the Bridge, I learned how a sculpture can represent your passion, your life, your soul, and even a loved one. I learned that a book can open your mind and help you explore and learn about what's beyond your comfort zone. When I read Persepolis, I was totally just blown away by how this woman potrayed her story to the world and just showed this amazing side of how life was for her during those hard times in Iran. She also made me see that even someone who is going through more major and harder things than me is able to overcome them to achieve her dreams. In all the lectures, I pulled something that pertained to not only my major, but to me personally. From the first speaker who spoke about this impacting Holocaust project to the zombie guy who should just how "zombie" we are. I think that if I had the choice to be in the bridge again, I'd do it. Yea, it was rough sometimes and even stressful, but I feel like I really needed this. To have two teachers who kept pushing and pushing and pushing to have us prepare for what we are going to face in the future.Being in the program just showed me so much more of why I wanted to come here and be apart of this. Being here is where I want to make my mark. I want to be able to hold over my head that "Yea, I did graduate from Columbia. And I loved it." For bad habits, I'd say I have to learn not to be such a big procrasinator and also start to really see that this is what I need to do to succeed and get that dream job I've been dying to have. Good habits would be studying hard,interacting more in class, and basically getting really into the subjects at hand. My perfect semester would be going to all of my classes, getting amazing grades, keeping good study habits, and know lots of people in Columbia. I want to be able to make that effort to going to my classes on time and engaging myself a lot in the subjects and different aspects of it. Studying would definietly be a way to get those good grades and getting a really good GPA. Plus I've always really wanted to have a really good one.And I want to socialize and get to know people, so being shy has to be put aside. So when I come here, I can socialize but don't let it get out of control. I can't let it take over my life here and mess up my grades and academics.
I'm not going to lie. Something that will be an obstacle for being here would be the doubts my parents might have of me actually styudyung and doing my work. They know I can do the work and succeed but they start to get reluctant at times and start questioning me at an given moment. To prevent that, I want to sometimes call up my mom and just inform her of what's going on class wise and that I'm ok with this or might need help with that. Just so they know I'm not extremly struggling or procrasinating a lot. Personally, It'll be adapting to a new campus. Having to get used to the way that things are and the way it's such a big city. I come from a city that everyone knows everyone so now, it's like wow... I need friends. =) but i know if I make the right friends, which are people who are as dedicated as me and are not trouble makers, I'll be at a good stand still.

This bridge program was amazing. I'm really glad I was offered this opportunity to come her, learn new thngs, meet great people, have kick ass teachers, and have a great kick off to my year here. Possibly my year here. =)

THANKS TO HAFIZAH AND IZZY FOR EVERYTHING!!

And to everyone of my English classmates: It was a joy having you guys in class. I laughed, I cried, and made great friends. Now don't be strangers on campus and always remember to believe in your self and the rest will follow... PEACE!

N@Ti* PuNk

No comments:

Post a Comment