Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 7 Response- Kyle Rich

Megan- In Persepolis, the protagonist, Marjane, has to deal with social and religious issues that cannot be ignored. In fact, they cannot even go against society for the fear of being prosecuted, or worse, killed. Islamic fundamentalism, has taken over the country of Iran once again. And this time it's harsher. Since everybody is so afraid of the regime, society even begins to become brainwashed to fundamentalism. On page seventy-four, Marjane and her father are driving, when her mother jumps in front of the car screaming with tears in her eyes. She says that two bearded men (fundamentalists) told her that "Women like her should be fucked against a wall, and thrown in the garbage." And continued to make empty threats on what will happen and why all women should cover themselves with a veil. And while women continue to remain oppressed, the government gives a foolish reason for the masking. They basically say that "Men are to easily excited by hair, and by displaying it, man would not be able to contain himself." And while the fundamentals of these strict Islamic principles, the public begins to change as well. In fear of the opposition, the public begins to almost enforce these ridiculous ideas on their own. People don't so much talk, but almost BRAG about how devoted they are to Islam and how often they pray. The government has used religion to negatively influence society as a whole by placing fear on the citizens and letting them turn against one another. And sadly, While Marjane has always been one to rebel, she goes with the flow, especially after seeing all the opposers firsthand being hurt and killed in the protests. I used to be one of those kids who went to church with mom every Sunday, but when i turned around ten years old, i started to refuse to go. Even as a kid, i knew that everything i heard in Sunday school was physically impossible. And since using that questioning, it has shaped who i am today. I consider myself a realist. As much as the sugar-coating tastes sweet, i would rather be spoon-fed a tablespoon of the truth at every meal. I feel as if i just waited for things to "happen" and "click" on their own, i would be as motivated or successful as i feel right now.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A single story people have of me is that I'm a snobby stuck up brat. A lot of people assume because I come from the suburbs and have nice things that I automatically think I'm better than everyone else. I've been told that I act "white" and don't like black people just because I have friends outside of my race and listen to music besides hip hop and rap. In high school, a lot of the black kids didn't talk to me just because they knew I moved from Madison and went to a private middle school. I've been told that I'm a bitch just because I dance and that all dancers are evil. Having a single story of a person is dangerous because you miss out on getting to know who the person really is, instead you make up a story of who you think they are in your mind and stick with it. I am not a snobby brat, and I would never say I'm superior to someone because of where I come from. I don't think I'm "white" because I'm proper and I don't hate black people, I love who I am and I wouldn't want to change that, but I'm not going to sacrafice my education and grammar because of the stereotype that black people have. Yes, I'm a competitive dancer but that has nothing to do with the way I treat people, or that I think my talent is better than anyone elses. Just because someone looks a certain way on the outside, doesn't mean that they're a certain way on the inside. When you give someone a single story, you're only hurting yourself. You're letting yourself stay close-minded and ignorant about the people around you who are not like you, and by giving them a single story you don't know the truth, you only know what you want to know. By giving in to stereotypes, you are only perpetuating the cycle and not allowing yourself to grow as a person and learn more about yourself and the people around you as well.

    ReplyDelete