Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Michelle Day 11- Megan Schaus

Michelle-
Every boy that is serving time in Central has had to leave at some point. They each had to leave their old lives. It is interesting that each person in the correctional facility has done this. Behind every face there is a story. I don't think we think about this nearly enough, because when we hear the word "inmate" we think of violence, instead of human. There is so much more to the kids at Central, than violence. For example, the majority of the kids led a violent and grusome life before they were taken to Central. Whether they were born into or decided to join this kind of lifestyle, they ended up only damaging themselves. It is sad to think the only place they felt that they belonged was in a violent lifestyle, like a gang. I think many of the kids acted out because they were desperate for attention, which caused them to leave their old life.
I don't think people realize that their are still kids living their life, and still engaging in this behavior, not considering the consequences. Do you think they would suspend their behavior if they knew that theres a chance they would have to go through what the kids in the novel are going through? I think there is still gang activity and violence because people are not only desperate for attention but affection. If you think about it, a gang is like a small family. They claim to always have your back, if you have theirs. I can see how certain people would be drawn to this especially if they are lacking support and love, but is it really worth your freedom? I don't know a lot about gangs, but I do know about cliques.
I was in a clique in high school. It was a circle of people that were mean, cruel, and verbally abusive, but in my eyes I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was where I felt I fit in, which is the sad part. One day my "friends" were picking on a boy that was suffering from Autism, and the fact he was ina wheelchair, alone, wasn't enough to stop them. I will never forget that was the day I LEFT. I left where I felt was a comforable, safe place, where everyone had my back.
There is certain behavior that isn't acceptable, and once you notice it, you can't be apart of it. I didn't want people to look back, ten years from now and think, thats the girl that made fun of people who had problems. I knew that wasn't me.
Even though leaving my clique was scary, it was worth it. All of the people that hated on us for hating, had a change of heart. They were impressed and proud that I had the courage to walk away.
I wish people would realize how walking away just doesn't benefit the victim, but it benefits you. It keeps you healthy, and gives you a clear mind. In the end its completely worth those twenty minutes of fear, but in the end, you may have just saved your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment