Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 10: Eli and Chris

Eli..

That was a very mind blowing question. For Marji,I think it would depend on which parent she would lose. Her father is the one that shelters her more and sort of wants her to keep the innocence she has left. Her mother is more the type to encourage her rebellion and Independence. If her father were to become a prisoner, I think a lot of the stability they have now would be completely lost. Just cause of the fact that he's usually the voice of reason and the stable parent in the family. Marji and her mother would probably go through a lot of hard times. They would have to be known for being his family and since he was the only one that worked, their financial stability would plummet terribly.If her mother was the one being arrested and became a prisoner, Marji would ultimately lose all hope. With her mother, Marji can see that her mother understands her need to rebel and become this independent person but at the same time makes sure that Marji doesn't go way too out of the line. Without her mother, Marji would eventually crack and start to follow the rules and conform to the lifestyle she had to like wearing the veil properly and not owning cassette tapes of forbidden music.She'd just blend in with the other girls and never stand out. I think that if one of my parents went to jail, I'd be a mess. Just thinking about it gives me the creeps. I have a two younger siblings. One is sixteen and expect a kid and the other is ten that's barely maturing and growing up. My parents and me are basically the ones that keep my house in the stable state that it's in. Without one of my parents, I could see the whole foundation we have crash down even though it wasn't really stable to begin with. If my mom were to be the prisoner, I'd have to pretty much adapt and do the same things she did which I already do. Clean, wash, cook. take care of my sister. Things would sort of be the same as they are now but the love she has with us would leave this invisible hole in all of us. My dad would be the biggest lose though. My dad to is is like Superman. He's those kind of dads that when your mom's driving you crazy, he looks at you, shakes his head, and tells you to ignore her. With him jail, I'd probably fall apart myself.

Chris...
I think with Marji, she goes through a mix of bad changes and good changes. She starts off having these strict rules on wearing this veil and being separated from boys which wasn't so bad. Even though she was going through all these bad things, her mentality of becoming this higher power (prophet) never left her mind. She'd had her grandmother to back her up and had this figment of God to encourage her. But soon enough down the road, her mentality changes for the better but also for the worst. she starts to open her eyes to all the things going on around her and how it slowly is affecting her family and everyone else around her. She started to hear these family stories about how her grandmother and mother had such a hard living without her grandfather or how her father would see all these people carrying this martyr over their shoulders declaring him a hero. Seeing all these things changed her mind on the things she knew before. She saw how her maid fell in love with the boy next door but couldn't be together just because of their social classes and was outraged. but even though she had this rancor age inside, she also had to change to learn to ask for forgiveness from a friend who she went after with nails in her hands just because his father killed so many of their people. Overall, I know that the things that Marji is going through or has gone through will defiantly shape her personality from here on out and will create her into who she wants to become. I would have to say that for me, a lot of things that changed in my life left it's lasting impression and has made me who I am today. Growing up, my brother Luis (who passed away) was always hovering over me and always point out my flaws or faults. There were times where I would be punished and he would just sit there, point, and then laugh at me. Me being the younger one, all I could really do was yell at him to leave me alone and to go away. Even growing up, he would walk by my school that was right across from his high school and walk me home. During the way he'd warn me about boys and not to be stupid and do good. I listened but even after, we'd be back to fighting like cats and dogs. The day before he passed away, he came by the house and seemed so calm. He had this serene face and just seemed at peace with everything for once. He would say hi to my mom and ask about the Taffy Apples that he bought from my sister's fund raiser and if they were coming anytime soon. For once, he was in the kitchen with me and we were not ripping each other's heads off or even being mean. But after that day, I vowed to myself that I would never take people for granted or think of each day as any other day. I'd start to see it as a way of having this new view on life. The way I felt about how sudden his death was made me just see that not everyday is promised and sometimes you never know if that person that's there is not there tomorrow. Changes occur in our lives whether you are ready for them or not. They will not warn you ahead of time or even bother to give you tips on how it will effect you later. You just have to learn to take life's changes and see where they take you...

No comments:

Post a Comment