Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 13: Chris

Carmelo Response

If Marjane was to have stayed in Iran I don't think she would have an outlook on the world since there isn't a way to see outside the country. Mostly everything in her country was banned so there was nothing to go off on. I think staying in the country of Iran would have been a bad move on Marjane's part and I think Austria was a better choice. While in Austria Marjane did face many challenges, but it was for the better and I believe she came out with a better understanding of how things work outside of Iran. Iran is her comfort zone and to me if you go out of your comfort zone you learn more about yourself and your surroundings. Besides being in her comfort zone, Iran is so cut off from everywhere else its impossible to get an impression on the world that surrounds the people. To have simple things banned within a country and to have to go through so much to get out of the country is hard a person and might make them believe the rest of the world is the same. I know when I was 14 everything left an impression on me. If I had to live on my own at such a young age, I don't think I could have survived. I was too much of a smart mouth and didn't know too much of what was going on around me to have survived. To be able to be on your own that young takes a lot of courage and some sense of responsibility which I know I lacked. For Marjane to be able to survive show a lot of will power and drive. I think that's why I look up to her and my connection with her is strong when I read the book.

Nataila Response

I think Marjane's mother is shocked at first to learn her daughter is living with 8 other guys, as any mother would, but to find out they were all gay shocked her even more. Its not a personal thing, its more cultural seeing as the people in Austria have the freedom to do as they please and be open about it as well. Compare this to Iran where every couple is male and female and you begin to understand where the shock comes from. Marjane's mother I believe is proud of her daughter for adapting to this new culture in a respectable way. I commend Marjane for making such a quick adjustment over a short period of time and I highly doubt I could do the same. To leave everyone you know behind and start new by yourself as a teenager is tough and Marjane handles it to the best of her abilities. Her parents have every right to be proud of her. I know I was. My parents handled my coming to terms with maturity the same way. I shocked them more than anything with my sudden lack of trouble in school. I think my behavior problems disappeared as I got older and as I learned more about myself, the more comfortable I was in my own skin. Must of the trouble I got into I think was to just show out and cause a scene, but with age the desire to do so went away. Sure I still clowned around from time to time but I learned a bit of self control. Needless to say they were proud. The phone calls from school stopped and my grades started going back up. I was pleased with myself on bringing my parents so much joy and I hope to continue to do so when I attend Columbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment