Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 13: Natalia and Carmelo

Natalia...

Marji's life is officially being written by Marji herself. She's starting to make her own choices and decisions in her life. I think that overall, Marji's mom should be proud of who she has become. In Iran, Marji was always trying to look past the adversity and try to experience the life she wanted like dressing modernly or listening to music. Now in Austria, she can do that freely and doesn't have to worry about the fact that she might be stopped in the street or punished severely. She can become her own person that involves not always having fear and always believing in something better. Her mom may be skeptical about her living in the building with gay men, but overall Marji's done a lot of good in the time that she's been there. She's explored the culture and seen many things she did not understand till then. For me, I'm actually sort of jealous or Marji. I've always wanted the opportunity to go to another country and experience a different culture and learn new things. When I was at a young age, I always wanted to know about different religions and how each one of them differed from the other. I'd always look up books on religions in the library and learn about Catholics and Buddhism. It fascinated me on how different cultures could have different gods than the one I believed in but my mother would always tell me not to because "You'll get confused." Now, I look back and think that I should have continued finding more information. It's just an example on how me growing up and becoming a rebel didn't help my cause. A lot of the time, there were things I wanted to do that my mother would always criticize me on. One time my freshman year, I tore up a pair of brand new pants and wrote all over them in permanent marker for spirit week and my mother lost it. I had written tons of things all over them and it just made her more mad because they were my favorite bands or my bad role models (my friends at the time.) After that, I learned to keep my creative tangents to a minimum around her. Going through those moments with my mom, it taught me to think more into my future and where I was headed. I started to think to what other outlet could I put my creativity and I found it in writing. So overall I changed for the better and learned that I found a great gift...

Carmelo..

If Marji would have stayed in Iran, I feel things would be a lot worse for her. Being in Austria opened her mind to things that in Iran she would have been oblivious to. In Austria, she saw there was no war, no guardians of the revolution, and especially no veils. She also saw how liberal everyone was and how curious they were just to even know a little of what it was like for her. In Iran, Marji had a rebellious attitude that got her into trouble a lot and being in Iran would have just gotten her into more serious trouble or even executed. Although she was sent to Austria at a young age, it was a good opportunity to sort of broaden her horizons. The main reason why her parents sent her off to Austria was because they wanted her to have the opportunities that at her age, they didn't have. They also knew that if Marjane stayed in Iran, the chances of her getting a good education and succeeding were very slim. I think that if at the age of 14 I was sent off to another country, I feel there would be about a 50/50 chance I would survive. Once a year at my church, they do a convention that lasts a week and is always in a different state. Usually your parents don't go and you're given money and sent off with your pastors and other youth. I started going when I was twelve and it was always scary being somewhere you've never been before but after a while, I got used to being in different places and getting familiar with my surroundings. But on the bad side, I always tend to panic a little when I realize that the way I thought out things in my head are not necessarily what's happening outside of my head.That's when I need to breath and think over what's going on. I think that at 14, I would have wanted that experience. Of course I would miss my family but at the same time, I love learning new things and going on adventures so I think I'd feel pretty comfortable.That and a lot of times, it's always fun to leave your comfort zone and see beyond the walls around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment