Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 12- Megan Schaus

It is obvious that the characters made mistakes in the novel True Notebooks. These mistakes cost the boys their freedom. I think making good choices is one of the most important things in life. If you think about it, one wrong move can change the way you go through life forever. I am disappointed that Jimmy made the decision of smoking weed, it was clearly the wrong choice. I had a lot of confidence in Jimmy before this incident took place. His creativity was shocking to me, and I considered his talent a gift. By doing this, Jimmy proved he has learned nothing about the mistakes he has made. His experience at Central taught him nothing. Unfortunantely he is the same person he was when he was taken to Central. It is sad that he had to resort to smoking to relax, instead of maybe drawing a picture or thinking of things to write.

Throughout the last eighteen years, I have made some decisions that weren't the smartest. For example, I would always stay out really late, or never come home, and not call or tell my parents where I would be. I would just let the phone continue to ring, and not care. I didn't even consider what my parents were feeling, with the shock that I didn't come home that night. One day, senior year, I went to my friends lakehouse in Michigan with my boyfriend and all of our friends. We were so excited to just get lost, turn off our phones, and not worry about anyone caring what we were doing, or where we were. We ended up staying there three nights, and when we got home it felt as if everyone in the town, including cops were looking for us. When I went home, my mom was in tears, my dad gone, and my sister refusing to talk to me. My family was completely disgusted with the choices I have made, considering for all they knew I could have been dead. This was the first time I have ever made my mom cry, and I promised myself it would be the last. None of my other friends, including my boyfriend were in trouble, and I thought that said a lot about there importance in their family. It showed me that my family really cares about my safety and well being. They just want the best for me. After that day, I spent months apologizing to my family about my behavior. To this day, my mom still brings it up, and a part of me thinks she continues to hold it against me, but I can't blame her. In the end I felt sorry for my friends. When was someone going to notice that they weren't in their own home? It makes me happy to know that my family made it a priority to find out my whereabouts, and it is something I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment