Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 14: Richard

Carmelo's Response

Life is like a dice game, you don’t know what the outcome will be when you are born into this place called the world. In Marjane’s case the world she sees now is the violence between two sides that have conflict because they don’t see the world on the same terms. If you look at everybody individually you’ll see that we have all different characteristics some may have the same qualities as you but everyone is different in their own way. Looking back at how things were in Iraq for Marjane is going to be a total difference between her living in Austria. Disrespected because of culture, Marjane is now on her own and has no support or backbone in this situation; at first she thought she can change the world because of her naive prophecies while in Iraq. Now struggling afloat and finding ways to fend for herself is the only thing that matters. In True Notebooks the inmates wouldn’t even be inmates if they were given the chance to live in a place that has structure and an opportunity to succeed in life. Since there circumstances are different from others, you see that these kids resort to crime to fend for their family it’s the only way to provide and if they were to see another to succeed they would definitely take that option. Living on your own can be frustrating because it’s hard to understand life at the age of 14, you wouldn’t even know your wants from your needs so how can you even know what to help you surviving without guidance. I know if I was 14 out the street I wouldn’t even know the first thing to do to provide for myself all I would think of is how can I obtain food for energy and a place to sleep; but in order to get that you have to find a way to obtain some type of income or stealing which is a crime. See now you why people resort to crime, it’s because it’s the easy way around things in this world. Begging for change or running in a store and stealing food? Which one would you choose? It’s all a matter of how you survive, there is always is a hard way and an easy way in life but it all depends on the person to find out which one best fits their personal agenda and their society as a whole.

Natalia’s Response

Marji now seems to be out of place of what her mother’s perception might be. She probably thought that leaving Iraq would help her grow and learn more besides worrying about the outbreak of violence back home. Instead she isn’t in school, she starts to fall in love and now she is running “errands” to provide for herself. She is on her way to failure by society’s standards and no it seems she can’t turn back from where she started. So wrapped up in today’s agenda she seems to forget about her parent’s plans, intentions and expectations. If my mom saw me struggling on the corner she would be horrified of what I’ve become. It is all up to me to change that ordeal; for Marji it seems that she has disappointed her mothers in a lot of ways. I can’t really compare my life to a female so our actions maybe different suppose to me comparing my life with inmates in Central Juvenile Hall. Most of my life I have disappointed my parents and even when I did things that weren’t allowed (and they never found out) I still feel guilty of doing it like smoking and drinking. My mother thinks I’m an angel just like Marji’s mom thinks she is but it is different when you see the other story. When they see that you are not doing the usual they figure you are doing something wrong so they get disappointed off the top without even really finding out what is going on. So all that time away Marji’s mother probably was excitied to see Marji but after seeing what she saw then she probably thought otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment