Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 13 Response- Megan Schaus

Allie-

In the beginning of True Notebooks we saw how Mark somewhat judged the boys in Central, by the positions they were in. He took the fact that they were in a correctional facility, as they as are all bad people. he gave the impression that he wanted nothing to do with the inmates. The only reason he was even going to go, was because he never has seen the inside of a prision before. Obviously, he overcame his fear and went. I think Mark "judged the book by its cover." Just because it was a prision, no one worth while resided in there. Luckily Mark was wrong. I really like how he felt he can make a difference on the kids in Central, and made it happen. He dedicated himself to his work and brightening lives. Mark is inspirational. In the end, he ended up making relationships that he will never forget for the rest of his life. He ended up experiencing incredible amounts of creativity and talent. Teaching at Central ended up benefitting Mark, and making not only a great novel, but memories that would last a lifetime.

One day I was at lunch with my friends, and a girl that was significantly overweight walked into the restruant. She walked past our table and my one friend offered her a chip to make her feel as uncomfortable as possible. Under all the snickering, she responded "No thank you." My friends didn't think she knew it was a joke, but I know she did. She just stood in line, and kept her head down, and her face hidden. I understood how cruel it was, and I like to think I had no part in it. Unfortunately, I was there, so I was apart of the crime of cruelty. To this day, I feel the guilt that built up in me that day. The thought I was openly hurting and embarressing someone else, just cause we felt like it. In the end, the only one it ended up hurting is us. We are the ones that made fools out of ourselves, and the ones that hopefully ended up feeling bad.
This has taught me not to judge by the way someone looked. Little did we know, she was from France, and was in charge of every Victorias Secret Fashion Show. We didn't even consider her intelligence, we just put the main focus on her looks, which isn't fair at all.

1 comment:

  1. That is actually a really wild story. It appalls me how some people are just the complete opposite of what you perceive. People who cannot change their appearance and the way they look, are often judged in the most abrurd way possible. But it seems as if when certain people dress, they don't exactly set themselves to be judged, but however they want to send a message of who they are. At my high school i refused to wear baggy jeans. I dressed in lots of cardigans and intresting graphic tees. I showed that i was not the normal everyday person, and i wanted to highlight my differences. And it stood out, and people knew me as a non-conformist.

    ReplyDelete