Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bridge Final Day: Allie

Over the course of bridge, I have learned that if I really dedicate myself and focus, I can get things done and do them well.  I've learned that being lazy and only half doing your work will not cut it in college and that I can actually complete my work and feel confident about it when I turn it in.  I have learned that while college won't be easy, if I work hard, go to class, and do everything I'm supposed to do and put all my effort into it, it will go more smoothly for me.  A habit I need to drop is procrastinating.  Although it's gotten better since bridge, I still admit that sometimes I will wait until 7 or 8 to start my work.  I need to study earlier and start focusing earlier so that I can be fully commited to my work.  I also need to not have any distractions while I'm studying or working on my homework, because that makes it take even longer and keeps me from being tuned in to what I'm doing at the moment.  I think my organization skills have gotten better, along with actually doing my work.  In high school, if the homework wasn't something that interested me I would just write whatever just to get it out of the way, but being in bridge I've learned that I have to do the assignment 100% and do it correctly, and it actually makes me feel a lot better about it when I'm done and I turn it in.

If I could have a perfect semester, I would want to have a least a 3.0 gpa, but I know I want to aim higher than that.  I want to stay on top of everything in all of my classes, get involved in a lot of extracurricular activities, and maybe start an outside project.  I also want to get a job so I can start saving money early.  First what I would have to do is stop being lazy.  I think that's what has gotten me in trouble over the past 4 years in high school, I would always say I wanted to do things or was going to do them but I was just too lazy to do them.  I need to get up off my butt and go to class, no excuses, and make sure I'm on time.  I also need to ask around, meet new people, and go visit new places so that I can learn more about Columbia and all it has to offer.  I also need to network and communicate with other majors to make my projects a reality.  I've learned that if I want to make things happen I have to go to them, I can't wait for them to come to me and I can't be slow about it because there are a million other people out there who want the exact same thing that I do.

I think my biggest obstacle will probably be my social life.  I always feel the need to be texting, or on the phone, or on the computer, or going out with friends and since Chicago is still so new to me there's so many places I want to go that don't involve school.  Since the bridge program started, every time I've wanted go out I'd always have to remind myself that I have to get all of my homework done first before I can go anywhere or make any phone calls or do anything social that might distract me.  I think what will help is if I write daily reminders to myself to stay on top of what's important and put everything else second, and I think my roommates will keep me on top of my game because none of us want to see the other person flunk out.  I also need to remind myself that I'm an adult now and that my parents are no longer jumping down my throat  to get things done so if I don't stay on top of things, it's all on me and I will be the one who has to pay the consequences in the end.  So far, even over just these short 4 weeks I think I have improved in my homework and studying, and I think the bridge program has really helped me mature and I feel more confident that coming into Columbia I can actually do this and that I could maintain a good gpa throughout these 4 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment